May 10, 2017
Occupy Democrats Parody
In Menlo Park, Denise Johnson Kula was taking her usual hot shower in an apartment she’d rented for at least a decade. She was lucky that when she passed out she sustained only minor injury, but became, of course, very alarmed about what might be happening to her state of health.
When the same exact thing happened again, she sought out help from her physician. It was 30 days into a desperate struggle and series of tests when they found a clue. The water system had just switched their system from conventional chlorine disinfection to a chlorine ammonia replacement called chloramine.
As a renter she had never received any notice of the change, since only property owners were alerted by a mailer by the water system. And the first and dramatic reaction she suffered was immediately after the change.
Her own doctor who supported her in connecting this change to her experience ultimately received intense pressure to distance himself or face possible responses that might harm his career. But now comfortable that a repeatable result of showing with and without chloramine demonstrated a connection, Mrs. Johnson-Kula went on to take her case to the EPA and City Hall.
SFPUC was at first receptive to her story and some others she had connected with who all were experiencing severe reactions from drinking, bathing and even laundering in chloramine treated water. And some EPA scientists were cooperative and fairly acknowledged that there really were NO “human health effect” studies on chloramine.
There’s much more detail on the CCAC website and some groups, but the issue gained national attention and even Erin Brockovich took up the cause of resistance against an EPA involved plan to bring chloramine to every water system nationally.
Erin Brockovich’s 2010 article.
EPA’s stated motive for pushing chloramine is that certain organic compounds react with conventional chlorine to form compounds identified as carcinogens. Technical their newly established rules do not require chloramine if water systems take more expensive steps to filter out these prior to chlorination.
Still it creates a strong incentive for water systems to choose the cheap option. Now chloramine can’t be purchased anywhere, and so the two chemicals that any D grade grade school chemistry student knows you should never mix, chlorine and ammonia, are intentionally mixed on site by men in full HAZMAT gear.
Additional savings are realized since the chloramine molecules do not evaporate from the water, but stay from one end of the system to the other. But then there are a whole lot of downsides:
- Chloramine contaminated water amounts to an environmental disaster any time a water main breaks since it results in mass kill offs of amphibians wherever this toxic noxious stew enters nature.
- The noxious taste is so odious that even farm animals would favor muddy puddles from the rain to the trough filled with chloramine poisoned tap water.
- Unlike conventional chlorine, which could leave a glass of water on a counter by itself without any filtration, chloramine stays. And it stays through any commercially available residential filtration solution too. Even reverse osmosis systems can only be expected to reduce chloramine, but the final “RO” water that emerges from your system still contains chloramine.
- It’s highly corrosive, so it ruins household plumbing and has even been observed to put turn copper pipes to swiss cheese… with pin hole leaks forming as direct result of interaction with chloramine poisoned tap water.
- Homeowners had sued local water municipalities for remedy after having to redo pipes in their entire home, and of course the buddy system and corrupted judges have summarily dismissed ruled in favor of the water monopoly bureaucrats.
- Wrapping up a much longer story, the EPA knew full well that:
- There are no human health effect studies upon which water consumers can be assured chloramine is safe for anyone.
- Many “canary in coal mine” types experience severe and immediate adverse health effects.
- Chloramine turns a water line break into an environmental emergency.
- It is a poor disinfectant. So at arbitrarily selected “safe levels” pathogens can and do arrive at the sink end of the water system.
- The cancer causing compounds that form by mixing chlorine with organics are replaced by others with chloramine believed to be no less harmful than those chloramine purportedly eliminates.(to be continued)
Note that Los Angeles has been misusing chloramine in their water system since the mid 80’s. There’s no study yet to connect this to an upward swing in lung cancer while the causes ordinarily have run an opposite trend. With a corrupted Heatlh Department that punishes doctors that independently conclude that chloramine is a culprit for ANY health reaction, we obviously cannot expect any funding to direct to the studies that should be pursued.
©2017 Occupy Democrats Parody
One thought on “EPA Destroys Health, Pipes and Environment with Chloramine”